Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FL state and local sales taxes deduction

This is my first year filing as a FL resident.  I see that the deduction is not applicable to me since I’m taking the standard deduction.  However, I do need to enter the tax rate and TurboTax generates a number, which I don't understand how it is calculated and if it matters.  Also, for the "locality" question, do I check "all cities"?  (Schedule A, line 5)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If you are taking the standard deduction, you do not need to complete Schedule A. Additional Florida does not have any State Income Tax, so there is no return to file for Florida.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much!  I got an error message prompting me to fill in local sales tax rate (the state rate was auto filled by TurboTax).  It may be because I paid other state taxes in 2022 and TurboTax needs to calculate which deduction is larger (standard or itemized).  

I understand there is no Florida state income return.  Can you please confirm that I do not need to file a NY return as a full-time FL resident working as an independent consultant for a company located in NY?  My only self-employed income is 1099-NEC income from this NY company.  Based on my research online, my understanding is that I do not need to file but would like to have more specific reference.  

Thanks again.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

This is correct. It doesn't matter where the company you work for is located or based from, it matter where you physically do your work. If you did not physically work in NY, you do not need to file a NY return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies