Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

F1 international student, non-residency alien. Filling my tax return for the 1st time. Currently, I am not on OPT but SSR program instead. Can I still issue a refund for FICA?

I got my work permit (EAD) last year because of the economic hardship in my home country. I know that F1 students are not required to pay FICA for being a non-residency alien. However, in my case, since I used a work permit under the SSR program, which meant that USCIS allows me to work anywhere (off-campus) without having to limit the job to my field of study (Business), so I decided to work in a restaurant industry as a server & assistant manger. In this situation, am I still eligible for a FICA refund without complelety working/having to work in a related field like OPT while meeting a non-residency alien and maintaitning F1 requirement at the same time? If not, what would be the options for me to do? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

F1 international student, non-residency alien. Filling my tax return for the 1st time. Currently, I am not on OPT but SSR program instead. Can I still issue a refund for FICA?

As a non resident alien, you would need to file a 1040NR.  Your tax rules are different as a NRA than as a Resident Alien.  You can contact Sprintax.com for help with your questions as TurboTax does not handle Non Resident Aliens. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies