turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Estimated tax safe harbor. -- Tax penalty???

Estimated tax safe harbor.

In December I converted a standard IRA into a Roth IRA. No income tax was deducted in this conversion. In early January, before January 15, I paid an estimated income tax so that my total estimated income tax plus income tax deductions for the year was a safe harbor amount – that is greater than my 2018 total income tax. I have entered the estimated taxes in the estimated tax form. The 1040 form shows the total taxes that is estimated plus deduction that I have paid.

Why is TurboTax calculating that I owe a little over hundred dollars in tax penalty?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
jtax
Level 10

That's a great question. The answer is subtle.

While you have paid enough estimated taxes, you probably didn't pay it when the "regular" calculation method says you should have. By default you must pay 1/4 of the total amount each quarter. You cannot wait until the 4th quarter and pay it all. If you do that the other quarters appear underpaid and you are charged interest by the day.

The solution is to not use the default method of computing required payments and dates, but rather to use the annualized income method.  However, that is very complicated. It involves figuring your income and deductions separately for each quarter (mostly).  Turbotax does support the Form 2210 Schedule AI that you need and will walk you through it. See this older post about how to go through that. It may not be worth it if the interest/penalty is small, but that is your call.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement/discussion/my-tax-penalty-is-calculated-as-if-my-income...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

The penalty is calculated based on that you received the income evenly over the whole year.  You can change the information to tell the program that a larger amount of income came in during the last part of the year and your penalty will decrease.

To make changes to the penalty go to:

• Federal
  • Uncommon Tax Situations
  • Additional Tax Payments
  • Underpayment Penalties

Link to more information about Underpayment Penalties

halfdome35
Returning Member

I am in the exact same situation, where I made a Roth conversion at the end of the year and now I owe a penalty.  It's to my understanding that as long as my quarterly estimated payments are 110% of my taxes from 2018, I would not have to pay a penalty?  Where do I enter my taxes from 2018 in order for the software to take this into account? This is my first year using turbotax

jtax
Level 10

@halfdome35 TT should ask you. But if you miss it here is a previous answer telling you where to enter estimated taxes.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/where-do-i-enter-my-estimated-tax-payments/00/25...

do note that paying the safe-harbor amount alone is not enough. Those payments must be made evenly. I.e. you can't pay all in the last quarter. If you do pay evenly then you should not get a penalty even if you owe (on 4/15) a million dollars. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies