Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Blahdidah
Returning Member

Electric Vehicle Credit Problem

I purchased a 2016 Nissan Leaf in 2023, preowned from a dealer. According to Fueleconomy.gov (https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxused.shtml) I should be able to claim this car via my taxes and recieve a credit. Not a new car credit, but form 8936, Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit (Including Qualified Two-Wheeled Plug-in Electric Vehicl... which my car qualifies for. HOWEVER when I go through turbo tax, it asks me questions about my car and asks for the year of it's make, which is 2016, which is not an option. Also this information could be easily dirrived from my VIN which I have to enter ANYWAY. I called and spoke to someone at turbo tax who told me that I don't qualify for any credit for my car which was untrue, but I didn't feel like arguing over the phone. I am much better via text. Could anyone explain to me why I cannot enter the correct year for my car?  Nissan Leafs back to 2009 should be eligible for this credit. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Electric Vehicle Credit Problem

Click Review to see if you are missing some forms needed in order to e-file.

Many federal and state forms are not yet available.  Check here for form availability. The dates are subject to change.

Tax form availability tool,

No hurry to e-file since the IRS will not begin to accept/reject 2023 e-files until January 29.   And….a state return cannot be accepted until after the IRS accepts your federal return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies