Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Elder Care deductions

My mom has been living with me full time since Sept 2018. She originally came to me due to a fall but it was revealed she had early onset dementia and it has been progressing since then. Mom does own her own house (it’s a 2 family). One unit is Hera and she collects rent from 2nd unit which covers taxes and basic expenses for the home. Mom also collects some money from SSI.mom cannot live alone so even though she owns a home and filed taxes due to rental income she cannot live alone as she requires 24 hr care and monitoring. My question is whether I can claim my mom as a dependent or deduct for any of her expenses related to care even though she owns a home and files separate taxes? Is there anything I can deduct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Elder Care deductions

without social security, is your mom's income greater or less than $4200?  if over $4200, you can't claim her on your taxes which means there is nothing you can deduct (but she can deduct those same expenses you are questioning)

Elder Care deductions

That is correct.  If your mother has income above $4200 per year--NOT counting the Social Security -- you cannot claim her as a dependent.  Her income and expenses still must be entered on her own tax return.  If she is beginning to exhibit signs of dementia do not waste any more time seeking help from a elder care attorney.  You are going to have some issues to deal with very soon.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies