turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Economic Impact Payment Divorced with dependent

My ex-wife claimed my son on  her 2020 taxes.  as a dependent she and he received $1,400 economic impact payments in 2021 .  I am claiming my son as a dependent for 2021.  I did not receive a payment because my wages were higher in 2020.  in 2021 my income was lower and it appears I qualify for the $1,400 payment as well as my son according to how I have input information into Turbo Tax.  is that correct that we both qualify? will my ex-wife have to repay the $1,400 she received on his behalf?  i have researched but seem to find conflicting information that he can receive $1,400 and my ex-wife wont have to pay it back as well as information saying she might

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Congress left a loophole in the law---your ex does not have to pay back the $1400 she received, and you can get it on your own return if you are the one claiming him for 2021.  Win - win.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, as long as your income qualifies, you may both get the Economic Stimulus Payment for the same dependent.  She will not be required to pay it back.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies