Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Earned Income Credit

How do I override the automatic EIC calculation?  It is calculating our joint income, but my son qualifies on my income alone due to a divorce.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Earned Income Credit

Not sure what you are trying to do or what you mean by "my income alone."   If you are filing a joint return with your spouse then your eligibility for EIC is based on your joint income.   If you file married filing separately you are not eligible for EIC at all under the tax laws.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Earned Income Credit

If you were already divorced at the end of 2020, you cannot file a joint tax return. Your ex-spouse's income should not be in your tax return at all.

If you were still married at the end of 2020, and you are filing a joint tax return, your EIC has to be based on your joint income.

I don't understand what you mean by "my son qualifies." Whether your son is a qualifying child for EIC has nothing to do with your income, joint or separate. Or are you talking about your son being able to qualify for EIC on his own tax return?

Earned Income Credit

Are you using your "prior year" Earned Income for calculating the Earned Income Credit?

If so, you are correct, if you were divorced in 2020 you only use YOUR "earned income" from 2019, not your joint earned income from 2019.

As for how to enter that, perhaps the others can assist you with that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies