turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NinaHollaway
Returning Member

Donation/Deduction

During the pandemic I volunteered at Opportunities for Williamson and Burnet Counties. OWBC is a 501c nonprofit. I worked at home for OWBC Community Services to assist individuals with utilities/rental assistance during the covid 2020 crisis. My volunteer hours were 467 hrs. Per the Independent Sector guidelines my dollar amount per hour is $27.20.  467 hrs X $27.20 equals $12,702.40. 

My question is: How do I take credit for this amount on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Donation/Deduction

Nope.    When you perform volunteer work you cannot deduct anything at all for your time, skill or expertise.   You can only deduct expenses for mileage or supplies you needed to perform the volunteer work or make a donation.   Sorry, but that was a great thing to do.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Donation/Deduction

You cannot deduct the value of your time or services.

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p526#en_US_2020_publink1000229698

NinaHollaway
Returning Member

Donation/Deduction

Well, I have a signed  In-Kind Donation form that I think can be deducted. In the past I have deducted In-Kind donations.

Donation/Deduction

@NinaHollaway wrote:

Well, I have a signed  In-Kind Donation form that I think can be deducted. In the past I have deducted In-Kind donations.

Per Treas. Reg. §1.170A-1(g), No deduction is allowable under Section 170 for a contribution of services.

NinaHollaway
Returning Member

Donation/Deduction

I have been doing some research and  my volunteer work qualifies for a tax deduction if I meet two criteria. 1. I volunteered with a registered 501c e organization and 2.  I was not paid. I have to fill out a 1040 Schedule A form.  Where in Turbo Tax can I do this?

Donation/Deduction

@NinaHollaway You have been doing research where and what have you found?

I would suggest that you read the treasury regulation I cited in my previous post (link below).

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.170A-1

Donation/Deduction

Sorry----you misunderstood the rules.  Volunteers cannot deduct anything for their time.   The time you spent as a volunteer cannot be entered on a Schedule A.   If you drove anywhere to do the volunteer work you can deduct your mileage.   if you purchased any sort of materials or supplies to perform the volunteer work you can deduct your expenses.   You do not get anything for your time.   Volunteer work does not get turned into "paid" work by entering it on a tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies