turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lblock84

I have an old HSA account that has money in it. I do not contribute nor does my employer. I changed health insurance through my husbands employee

Does this still mean I have HDHP even though my HSA and new health care is not linked?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I have an old HSA account that has money in it. I do not contribute nor does my employer. I changed health insurance through my husbands employee

"Does this still mean I have HDHP even though my HSA and new health care is not linked?"

Not necessarily. It depends on whether your new insurance is or is not HDHP.

There is nothing that "links" your insurance to your HSA. It only seems that way because you had setup both through your employer. But as far as the tax law is concerned, you can open a HSA independent of your HDHP insurance.

You may continue with your original HSA even though you no longer have HDHP insurance but you cannot add contributions. If your husband's insurance happens to be a family HDHP type (covers you and him) you can contribute to your HSA (and his HSA).

So in summary, if your new insurance is HDHP, you can make HSA contributions to your original HSA or any new HSA. If your new insurance is NOT HDHP, you cannot make HSA contributions to any HSA.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies