Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

calcano98

Do i still qualify for full eic or will it be less?My daughter turned 18 on Dec 4 2017 I noticed her box was not checked for dependent

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do i still qualify for full eic or will it be less?My daughter turned 18 on Dec 4 2017 I noticed her box was not checked for dependent

You can still claim your 18 year old child as your dependent.  You do not get the child tax credit for her--you lost the child tax credit when the child turned 17.  But you can still get the $4050 exemption for a dependent, which lowers the amount income you are taxed on, and EIC if you qualify for EIC.  Look on line 6c of your tax return to see if you listed her as a dependent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You can still claim your 18 year old child as your dependent.  You do not get the child tax credit for her--you lost the child tax credit when the child turned 17.  But you can still get the $4050 exemption for a dependent, which lowers the amount income you are taxed on, and EIC if you qualify for EIC.  Look on line 6c of your tax return to see if you listed her as a dependent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
calcano98

Oh ok. Yes she is listed, thank you.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies