turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jimc-RS

Do I report combined interest from 2 lenders with refinance? New loan < $750K, do I report lower OR original princ bal? How do I split with spouse on separate return?

I paid down principal to get below $750K.
I file M filing separate, split interest deduction with spouse (50/50)
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

Do I report combined interest from 2 lenders with refinance? New loan < $750K, do I report lower OR original princ bal? How do I split with spouse on separate return?

You don't say what you're financing. It "could" matter. Your primary home? @2nd home? Rental property that you own? Commercial property you own? You enter each 1098 one at a time.

When entering (and I can't stress this enough) *pay attention to detail*. I can't recall the wording exactly, but for the 2nd one you enter you'll select a checkbox on one of the screens to indicate that it's a refinance of the 1st 1098 entered. (or something like that). If you don't check that box, then the total outstanding on each 1098 are added together. If the total exceeds $750K that creates the issue you're already aware of.

Depending on just what was refinanced, it may also matter if you refinanced with a different lender or the same lender as the original loan. That determines how any amortized points on the old loan are treated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies