Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ms8788

Do I need to pay back the gross-up tax my employer paid if I quit and have to repay my relocation costs?

I am considering leaving my job, but am in a 2 year relocation agreement. If I do quit, am I liable to pay the moving costs + the tax gross up, or only the gross up costs themselves?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Do I need to pay back the gross-up tax my employer paid if I quit and have to repay my relocation costs?

No one in the user forum knows what your relocation agreement says about repaying the costs.  Read your agreement --- or have an attorney read it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

moving costs + gross up.  your employer paid costs that it wouldn't have paid if it had known you wouldn't live up to the relocation agreement so you owe the moving costs it paid. It also had to gross up for federal and state income taxes and pay them to the tax authorities. These income taxes are recovered from your gross repayment. Assuming the repayment is more than $3000 (IRC 1341). You go back to the year that the moving costs + gross ups were included in your w-2. you reduce the wages on the w-2 by the gross amount. This will result in a reduction in your tax liability but you do not file an amended return.  Instead, you take credit on the return in the year of repayment for the reduction in income taxes.  if there were state income taxes involved state law may follow the IRS. You also have the option of taking the repayment as an itemized deduction on schedule A but usually the credit is more advantageous. in effect, the employer recovers the gross-ups from you and you recover them from the tax authorities.  

for federal purposes you claim the credit on Schedule 3 line 13d

you will receive a corrected w-2 for the year you were reimbursed for moving expenses. the only items that would might change are social security wages and taxes and medicare wages and taxes. you do not file an amended return to report these changes.

fica and medicare. if these were included in your gross up the employer has two ways to handle these. 

1) you reimburse the employer for these then the employer reimburses you because it gets back these taxes from the IRS by filing a form 941-X by reducing the fica and medicare wages reported 

2) you don't reimburse the employer in which case the employer files the same amended 941-X but keeps your share of these taxes. 

if the employer makes you repay the fica and medicare but won't reimburse you see PUB 17 page 69 amount what to do so you can file form 843

for more info on repayments see IRS PUB 17 page 69

ms8788

Exactly the information I needed. Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies