Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to declare unemployment benefits earned outside the US (from German government, as a resident in Germany) on my US tax declaration?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Do I need to declare unemployment benefits earned outside the US (from German government, as a resident in Germany) on my US tax declaration?

Yes. As a U.S. citizen or resident, you have to report all your worldwide income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the reply! In this case I'm not able to find it within the Turbotax software. There is only a section for US-based unemployment benefits, but nothing for unemployment benefits from abroad. Would I just sum this together with the foreign earned income?

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

No. You will enter it in the regular Unemployment section then when you get to the Payer Info you will Select Foreign Country for type of mailing address, then select Germany for the country.  To enter your Unemployment Income you select the following:

• Federal
  • Income and Expenses
  • Show More next to Unemployment
  • Start Next to Unemployment and Paid Family Leave

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies