Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to claimed Home Energy Credits from previous years if the credit was applied to a different home that I don't own anymore?

I lived in Home-A from 2015-2017, and Home-B from 2017-Present. My tax credit from 2016 has reduced my credit for 2021. Does that still apply or would I mark that I have not received a tax credit on my home?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Do I have to claimed Home Energy Credits from previous years if the credit was applied to a different home that I don't own anymore?

The credit is a lifetime credit not one applied to a specific home. 

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Yes.  It is a lifetime limit per person, not per home up through 2022.  In 2023, the lifetime limit goes away. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

For the section 25C credits, there is a $500 lifetime limitation (lifetime of the taxpayer, not the home). 

Section 25C includes things like doors, windows, insulation and efficient heat pumps, furnaces, A/C and hot water heaters.

Starting in 2023, the lifetime cap is removed and replaced with a $1200 annual cap.  Unfortunately, improvements that were made in 2022 must be reported on your 2022 under the old law, you can't defer it to 2023. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies