Solved: Do both my spouse and I file our property taxes or just the one who is listed as the taxpayer on our property taxes? We are married filing separately.

Do both my spouse and I file our property taxes or just the one who is listed as the taxpayer on our property taxes? We are married filing separately.

We are married filing separately and my spouse already submitted their taxes. But claimed the full property taxes even though they are not listed as the taxpayer on the property tax statement. What do I do now on my tax information? Do I still claim the full property taxes as well or do I leave it blank since my spouse already did or do does my spouse have to make an amend?

You both can not claim the full amount of property taxes paid.

You and your spouse should come to an agreement on who gets to take the property tax as a deduction: 

• If you agree that she can take it this year, then you do NOT enter it on your return.
  • If you agree to split it or have you take the deduction, she will have to amend her return.