turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nchuso

Do both my spouse and I file our property taxes or just the one who is listed as the taxpayer on our property taxes? We are married filing separately.

We are married filing separately and my spouse already submitted their taxes. But claimed the full property taxes even though they are not listed as the taxpayer on the property tax statement. What do I do now on my tax information? Do I still claim the full property taxes as well or do I leave it blank since my spouse already did or do does my spouse have to make an amend?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Do both my spouse and I file our property taxes or just the one who is listed as the taxpayer on our property taxes? We are married filing separately.

You both can not claim the full amount of property taxes paid.

You and your spouse should come to an agreement on who gets to take the property tax as a deduction: 

• If you agree that she can take it this year, then you do NOT enter it on your return.
  • If you agree to split it or have you take the deduction, she will have to amend her return.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

You both can not claim the full amount of property taxes paid.

You and your spouse should come to an agreement on who gets to take the property tax as a deduction: 

• If you agree that she can take it this year, then you do NOT enter it on your return.
  • If you agree to split it or have you take the deduction, she will have to amend her return.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies