Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Retired04
Returning Member

Disagree with Resolution who said energy credits for main home only

The IRS instruction for Form 5695 and their FAQ statements say some credits apply to “Main” or “Principle” residence and other deductions, like qualified heat-pumps can be deducted for “residences”.  Form 5695 contains Section II. part A, lines 17a through 20b are for those deductions for “Main” home.

Section II Part B allows the other items, like heat-pumps to be listed and allows you to enter 4 addresses defined as follows: “Enter the complete address of each home where you installed qualified energy property”.

In using Turbotax, I attempted to claim the Energy Credits.  I had a new qualifying heatpump installed in our second home.  Our second home is not our main residence but it is a home that is only occupied by us for several months a year.  It is vacant when we are not there and is never rented out.  

When I clicked that the expenditure was not our “main” home, it ended and said “0” credit.  If I changed the selection, and checked “yes” it was main home, it allowed me to enter more information for Form 5695.

I did not have any costs incurred for Part II, Section A: lines 17a thru 20b.  Because the items that qualify for that credit must be in the “main” home.

But, it did allow me to enter information for Section B: Residential Energy Property Expenditures, lines 21a thru line 32.  Note: 21a “home located in the United States” (home not main home) and 21c “Enter the complete address of each home where you installed qualified energy property.”   Allowing for multiple “homes”.  See references from IRS.

I thought my return was ready, paid Turbotax, reviewed the forms and saw that main home address on the form in Section A was changed.  Now, there are no expenditures for Section A,  but that is not my main residence.  I cannot edit the form and correct the address, and going back, with one of hour agents online, it I select expenses that apply, and select “No” to main home, it never gets me to the expenditures that are allowed on other homes.

I called Turbotax and the agents contacted Resolution who stated no energy credits except for main residence.  That is not accurate based on the IRS instruction sheet nor the form itself, and even Turbotax allowed 2 lines for home addressed that could be claimed.

i am seeing several people complaining and switching tax software, but because I have used Turbo for 18 years, I would rather this be addressed and fixed.  I have paid, but not released my tax return awaiting a resolution or response. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

You are correct that the credit for a heat pump is allowed for secondary residences.  Some of the other energy credits can only be for a main home (insulation, doors and windows).

The developers have the form screwed up (Form 5695) so it is forcing question 17 to be answered and incorrectly applying that answer to the bottom part of the form (heat pumps, etc.).

It is almost certain it will be corrected at some point, but I have no idea when it will be fixed.  It could be fixed this week, but I suspect it will take longer than that.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Here is the link for updates: Why are Home Energy improvements for my second home not qualifying for the Home Energy Credits?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Retired04
Returning Member

Some TurboTax customers are experiencing an issue with their Home Energy improvements not qualifying for the Home Energy Credits when they’re made to a second home or not made to their ‘Main Home,’ even when some of the home improvements should qualify.

We’re currently working to resolve this issue. If you’d like to receive progress updates, sign up below.

Thanks for acknowledging that Turbotax is aware if the problem and is working to resolve it.

Hi Catina. I’m having that same issue but I’m noticing that the link you posted is now not working. Any updates with a resolution on this? Thanks. 

Retired04
Returning Member

Hello 

The link is not working.  Has tubrotax been fixed to allow for the energy credits for second homes?

anndski1

that link doesn't go anywhere

The link is supposed to go to a page where you can sign up for email notifications for when the problem is fixed.  A moderator is reaching out to the person who published the article to find out why it was unpublished.  In the meantime, you will need to check turbotax every few days to see if the problem is fixed.  My guess is that it will be next week before a fix is released (although it could come any day. Most fixes are released Thursday night at midnight Pacific time, but they can come other days.)

Turbo tax reps that you call say they have no information about form 5695 having been wrong. But they do say that on their end it says that the form “is not yet ready.” I pointed out that the turbo tax website publicly says that the form is ready, and has said so for about a week now. The rep could only say that internally the form is displayed as not ready. Not sure why internal and external info would differ. What a headache. 

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

As of the last TurboTax update, most of the known issues with Form 5695 have been resolved.  

There is still a calculation issue affecting only joint ownership of the home and claiming one specific credit that is scheduled to be corrected with the next update around March 8th.  If this applies to you, see this link and sign up for updates:  Why is TurboTax limiting my Home Energy Credit when I have a non-spouse occupant?

If you are still experiencing an issue, please respond with details so that someone may help you get it resolved.

@Retired04 

@18161625 

@anndski1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies