Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Didn’t get a child tax credit

I’m a bit confused. I did my taxes at H&R Block and made about $37,000 for the year of 2023. I was out of work a few months in the beginning of the year so it was a little less than typical. 

My question however is why didn’t I qualify for the child tax credit? I had my son in 2022 and his mother didn’t make any income. My tax refund was literally $300. And I know that has to do with that I had them take out less taxes on each paycheck. So my take home was more but why does that disrupt the child tax credit? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You should ask H&R Block why you didn't get the child tax credit, since they did your tax return, or you used their software.

You say you used H & R Block software to prepare your 2023 return---why are you not asking them about this to see whether you made a mistake or if you misunderstood the information on your tax return?   If you claimed your child as a dependent on your return, you should see the child tax credit amounts on lines 19 and 28 o your Form 1040.  The refundable amount would show up on line 28, and is included in your refund shown on line 35a.

Your post is confusing--you mention 2022 and 2023.    Which tax return are you asking about?  If the child was born in 2022, you were supposed to claim the child on a 2022 return, and on a 2023 return.   Did the child live with you?   You only mention that the child's mother had no income----but you make no mention of whether all of you lived together as a family or if you lived apart.  

Provide some details.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900923-what-is-the-child-tax-credit

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/taxation/additional-child-tax-credit/L6x...

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/does-my-childdependent-qualify-for-the-child-tax-credit-or-the-credit-f...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The child tax credit has nothing to do with your withholding.  It's only calculated on your tax return.  

The child tax credit can only be fully refunded ($2000) if you owe at least $2000 of income tax.  If you owe less than that, but you have income from working, you can get a partial credit called "Additional Child Tax Credit."  With $37,000 of income and filing as head of household, your income tax would have been about $1700, so you should have gotten most or all of the credit.

The child must be your dependent who lives in your home more than half the year, or your child that does not live with you but you are allowed to claim because of a custody agreement.  The child must be under 17 on December 31 of the tax year.  The child must have an SSN that is valid for work (generally this means they must be a citizen or have a green card.)

Look at your completed tax return.  On the front page of form 1040, you should see the name and SSN of your child, and a check box in column 4 for "Qualifies for child tax credit".  Then you should have a form 8812 attached to your return that calculates the credit.  The actual child tax credit is on page 2, line 19 and the Additional Child Tax Credit is on line 28.

If your child is not listed on form 1040 or the child tax credit box is not checked, then you made a mistake when answering questions about your dependent.  If the child is listed and the box is checked, but there is no form 8812, then you may have made some other error that the program thought would disqualify you. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies