Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Poketako99
Returning Member

Dependent or not?

In the "You and Your Family" section, there is a question that asks:

"How many months has XXXXX lived you in 2021?  

Claiming XXXXX as a dependent involves counting each month they lived with you in 2021.  

If your child was away at college, count the number of months away as having lived with you."

I entered 6 months.  Because of this, Turbotax indicates that my child can't be claimed as dependent.  

However, I discovered (after the fact) in IRS Publication 17 page 29:  Temporary absences. Your child is considered to have lived with you during periods of time when one of you, or both, are temporarily absent due to special circumstances such as:

Illness,

Education,

Business,

Vacation,

Military service, or

Detention in a juvenile facility.

Why does Turbotax not allow my child to be claimed as a dependent if they were gone due to education?

Unfortunately, I have already submitted my tax return.  How can I correct this and get the deductions and credits I should have been entitled to?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Dependent or not?

TurboTax does allow you to claim a student who lived away at school.  Unfortunately you answered the question incorrectly.  You should have said the child lived with you all year.   You can say that for the temporary absence of being away at school.   

You will need to wait until the IRS has fully processed your return to amend it with a Form 1040X.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Poketako99
Returning Member

Dependent or not?

Thanks for your help, but I think I answered the question exactly how Turbotax posed the question.  It said "If your child was away at college, count the number of months away as having lived with you." My child was away at college for six months, so that's what I entered. 

Dependent or not?

But you forgot that there are twelve months in a year?   6 months at school and the other 6 months literally at home?   Sorry---you misinterpreted.  You will need to amend.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Poketako99
Returning Member

Dependent or not?

Hmm.....I guess I may have been in a rush to complete my return and misinterpreted the statement.  However, wouldn't it make it easier for users if Turbotax said "If your child was away at college, enter 12 months."?  Thanks again for your help.  

Dependent or not?

I'm looking at an older version of TurboTax, so I'm not sure if it is still the same, but ...

IMMEDIATELY after asking the question about how many months, it has a link for "How do I count?", which shows the additional information, such as being at college.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies