Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependent care benefits is being taxable as spouse didn't earn anything

Hello Pro's - I am new to US and filing my taxes. I opted for Dependent flexible spending account as my spouse looking for job and I was full time employed. How can we claim for the spent amount.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Dependent care benefits is being taxable as spouse didn't earn anything

If both parents did not work and earn income you will not be able to get the child and dependent care credit.   The "catch" to getting the credit when looking for work is that you actually have to find a job and begin earning income at that job.   Just "looking" is not enough to be eligible for the credit.

The other thing though --- is we cannot know from what you have told us if you can use TurboTax.   You mention that you are "new to the U.S."   If you are still a non-resident alien you will not be able to use TurboTax to file a 1040NR.

NON RESIDENT ALIEN  

If you are a non-resident alien, your return must be filed on Form 1040NR, which cannot be prepared using TurboTax.  You can use TT’s partner, sprintax:

https://www.sprintax.com/non-resident-alien-tax-1040nr-turbotax.html

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies