Solved: Dependant got a stimulus check

Ryder276

Dependant got a stimulus check

I'm getting ready to file my taxes but not sure if i can use my sister as my dependant because she got a stimulus check. She does qualify as a dependant but i'm wondering if there will be a issue as in her having to pay the check back. She did state on the irs website ( get my payment) that no one can claim her as a dependent. This will be the first time i will use her as a dependant on a tax return.

AnnetteB6

Dependant got a stimulus check

If she registered on the IRS site for non-filers in order to receive a stimulus payment, then that is considered to be an original filed return with zero income.  This means that in the IRS system, she has filed a tax return.  

If you include her as your dependent on your return, then your return will be rejected because the IRS site will show that she has filed her own return.  

@Ryder276

AnnetteB6

Dependant got a stimulus check

@Ryder276