Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deductions showing up as income

Hi,

Doing my 2016 taxes to verify against professional's so I know I have the categories set up correctly & charity categories are showing up under imported documents as income.

How can I correct this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

I am sorry, 2016 is too far back for this forum.You are welcome to try Turbo Tax chat.or you can fill this form out for someone to call you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi @AmyC,

Thanks for the reply.  I clicked your link for a form, but it came up as more of a tax problem page (a bunch of boxes & tabs for costs for the questions from TT or a CPA), not a technical help/programming issue page, I was unable to find help with my problem. 

I did look around that part of the website & found a request for a live person.  After asking & answering some questions to get one, I received a response that I needed to be working on my taxes before I could get a live person, so a dead end there.  Since I'm about or close to 1/2 way through, I figured it had to be because it's the 2016.

I believe my problem is a technical support issue rather than a tax question anyway.  I have my charity deductions categorized correctly, however they're showing up as income in the importing documents section and I need to know how to fix it or find out if my copy is defective.

If you have any way to help me with this, I would so appreciate it!

Tina

AmyC
Expert Alumni

I would imagine you did not import the deductions since this is 2016. You have to be using the desktop program. Have you manually updated the program? You can always move things around in the FORMS mode but that is not how you want to be learning. Since this is 2016, I would be tempted to go through the FORMS mode double checking everything. For accuracy, overrides are not welcome. They can sometimes be used to spur the program to the right action and then un-overridden.  Sorry I can't be more help, good luck!

Hi @AmyC 

They were imported from my Quicken program, not out in the wild.  This is why I'm thinking I need someone with some technical as well as Turbotax support.  I'm wondering if it's something in the import from Quicken to Turbotax that's created the categories issue, unless, somehow I have the category for charity incorrect?  For donations given through checks or credit card as Schedule A: Cash Charity Contributions.

Both the Turbotax and the Quicken are updated to the latest available.  This is my first foray into using Turbotax.  I chose the 2016 as all Quicken entries are checked as correct and am using the tax schedules from the CPA's forms on that year's set of taxes, to make sure all is correct for the following years taxes.  Have the TT for the years up to 2019, too, so I can get all caught up. 

Thanks for the Forms mode advice!  Did not notice until you pointed it out!  Will add into that for now.  Does the program allow to go back & forth between the two?  I did notice the questions in the auto part had more tax deductible options/entries than the ones the tax preparer offered, so am very intrigued on how it will all turn out!

Thanks,

Tina

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You can move between the FORMS and step by step. Your charity of Schedule A is correct. Intuit sold Quicken years ago so there may be an import issue due to the timeline factor. What may have worked in 2016 may not work now with updates.

The good news, if you find you should have gotten more money, you can still file by April 15 and get a refund for 2016.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies