Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deductions for S Corporation on Personal Tax Return

Good day. I am working to file my taxes using Turbo Tax Deluxe 2022. My wife and I opened a small business (mobile beverage truck) late last year.

I filed my business taxes as an S Corpration for myself and my other partners. We all received Schedule K-1 and I have entered the information on my personal tax return.

I am trying to figure out where to enter expenses for the business that my wife and I had from the business? Would they go under Schedule C or somewhere else?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sorry, but unlike a partnership, the home office expenses are not deductible on the personal return. If the corp doesn't own the home you can "rent" space to the company  and the rent would be a deduction on the corp return but the income would have to be reported on the Sch E or Sch C on the personal return along with the correlating expenses.   Hopefully you and anyone else working the business are on the payroll and filing proper payroll tax reports and issuing yourself W-2 forms.  From 2018 thru 2025 an employee cannot deduct employee business expenses on a personal tax return Sch A. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies

it is not clear whether the S-corp is the same as beverage truck business. please clarify this.

also, what was the nature of the expenses you and your spouse incurred?

Yes, the beverage truck business is an S Corp. We are looking to deduct home office expenses for managing the business and vehicle expenses (are cars used to manage the business)

Sorry, but unlike a partnership, the home office expenses are not deductible on the personal return. If the corp doesn't own the home you can "rent" space to the company  and the rent would be a deduction on the corp return but the income would have to be reported on the Sch E or Sch C on the personal return along with the correlating expenses.   Hopefully you and anyone else working the business are on the payroll and filing proper payroll tax reports and issuing yourself W-2 forms.  From 2018 thru 2025 an employee cannot deduct employee business expenses on a personal tax return Sch A. 

Thank you for that information. What about vehicle expenses for my personal vehicles that are being used for business use as well for the S Corp?

With respect to the vehicles you own, the answer is primarily the same as the answer @Critter-3 posted with regard to your home office; the corporation can reimburse you for your expenses and deduct those expenses on its 1120-S.

Just to be clear, vehicle deductions can only be reimbursed from the S Corp? I can't claim those expenses as deductions on my personal taxes since S Corp passes tax liabilities to the partners?

Yes, because you are an employee of the S corporation if you perform services for the corporation.

S corporations have shareholders (many of whom are also employees), not partners as do partnerships or multi-member LLCs (which default to partnership status for federal income tax purposes).

You need to get some education on this matter ... please read up on the Accountable/Nonacountable plans here :  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies