turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deductions for Repairs to Company Equipment

I'm a 1099 subcontractor. I damaged a vehicle belonging to the company I work for, cost of repair (new engine) was $3300. I paid for it, but how do I deduct it? Am I allowed to deduct it under regular business expenses? I'm uncertain because of the restriction against deducting "the cost of restoring or replacing property." But it wasn't my business's property, so I can't capitalize it as an asset either. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Do you drive this vehicle for work?  If so, you would deduct it as a vehicle expense. When you walk through the vehicle section, you can say that this is a vehicle that you use for business but you do not own it.  Then instead of taking the standard mileage you would take the actual expenses and enter the $3,300 as a cost of repair.  

If you do not drive it for work and damaged the engine somehow without driving it, then you would be able to enter it as Other Miscellaneous Expenses with a description of what it was for. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Do you drive this vehicle for work?  If so, you would deduct it as a vehicle expense. When you walk through the vehicle section, you can say that this is a vehicle that you use for business but you do not own it.  Then instead of taking the standard mileage you would take the actual expenses and enter the $3,300 as a cost of repair.  

If you do not drive it for work and damaged the engine somehow without driving it, then you would be able to enter it as Other Miscellaneous Expenses with a description of what it was for. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks so much. Exactly what I needed to know!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies