turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

VK435

Deductions about upfront mortgage insurance when moved from FHA to Conventional

Hi

I bought a house year ago with a FHA loan and they was upfront mortgage insurance that was added to my loan around $9000 after a year i refinanced to a conventional loan. Is there any chance that i can deduct this in my tax returns

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

You will be allowed to deduct in your Itemized Deductions (Schedule A) your Mortgage Insurance Premiums (MIP) on your 2019 return.

The deduction had expired at the end of 2017, but when the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2020 was signed into law on December 20, 2019 the deduction has been extended through 2020.

The amount of the Mortgage Insurance Premiums should be included on the Form 1098 that you will receive from your lender. When you are entering the mortgage interest,  Box 5 is where you will enter the MIP amount.

If you purchased the home in 2018 you will be able to amend you 2018 return and add this amount to your Schedule A. You will probably need to contact your mortgage lender to obtain the amount as it was not reported to you on your 2018 tax document. How to Amend Your 2018 in TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

You will be allowed to deduct in your Itemized Deductions (Schedule A) your Mortgage Insurance Premiums (MIP) on your 2019 return.

The deduction had expired at the end of 2017, but when the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2020 was signed into law on December 20, 2019 the deduction has been extended through 2020.

The amount of the Mortgage Insurance Premiums should be included on the Form 1098 that you will receive from your lender. When you are entering the mortgage interest,  Box 5 is where you will enter the MIP amount.

If you purchased the home in 2018 you will be able to amend you 2018 return and add this amount to your Schedule A. You will probably need to contact your mortgage lender to obtain the amount as it was not reported to you on your 2018 tax document. How to Amend Your 2018 in TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies