turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deduction for materials when adding an office to a workshop on my property?

I have a large workshop at my house that I use for contract work + personal use (woodshop + working on cars). For work I use it to make things I need for work + store my work gear (video production). 

in 2023, I spent ~$7500 building an addition onto the workshop thats used for storage + a dedicated office (storage to clear up floor space, dedicated office so I could get out of the house and focus)

I did all the work myself, those are all materials costs.  The workshop has never been listed as a business asset, its was a building on a the property when we bought our house, and over the years, I've updated it and renovated the interior for general use. This 2023 work was the only time I did anything to it specifically for my contract work. 

What, if anything, can I deduct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

It sounds like you now have a spot that is completely for your business separated from the rest of your personal stuff and use.  If so, then the $7,500 addition would be a building asset and would be depreciated.

The key is regular use for storage and exclusive and regular use for the home office.  You can enter this as a home office and walk through the steps to take the deduction. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

It sounds like you now have a spot that is completely for your business separated from the rest of your personal stuff and use.  If so, then the $7,500 addition would be a building asset and would be depreciated.

The key is regular use for storage and exclusive and regular use for the home office.  You can enter this as a home office and walk through the steps to take the deduction. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies