Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deducting Home Office and Storage Shed

Hello,

My husband is a sole proprietor.  We have an office inside our home that we use for our books, but we also own a shed that stores all of the business tools and supplies.  The shed is across the street from us, so it is technically a different address.  I'm assuming that I should use our home office for the home office deduction, but where do I deduct the expenses and such from the storage shed?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You can claim more than one home office.  For instance, if you had a home office and used the basement for storage you would just combine the two as single home office.  If you had a second home, you could have a home office at each location.  If the shed is on the same property that your house is on, treat it as a part of your house, similar to a detached garage.  If it is a separate piece of property, treat as such.  Can you provide more information on the shed and that piece of property?  Is it taxed separately?  Does it have it's own utilities?  is there anything else (a house) on that piece of property?   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The shed is on a parcel that is taxed separately from our house.  It has it's own electricity, there are no other utilities there.  There is not a house on the property.

So would that be considered a home office or something else?  It is directly in front of our house, our homeowners insurance covers it, but everything else is separate.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

It would still be considered a home office. You could just claim it as an entirely separate property where you do not need to prorate expenses other than the homeowners insurance.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies