Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bdoubleu
Returning Member

deduct legal fees for defending professional license

Where do I deduct legal fees incurred defending (responding to complaints, charges etc) a professional license required to be employed in a given field?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/tax-deductions-and-credits/can-i-deduct-legal-fees-on-my-taxes/...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
bdoubleu
Returning Member

I should have included that link myself and noted I read it twice in its entirely and certain sections more than that before posting my question.  legal fees to defend a required professional license isn't included in the legal fees that are deductible, nor is it included in the section of what is not deductible.

that said. if a license is required for a job and if you MUST defend that license to keep said job using legal representation. it should fall under a deductible legal fee.

the original question remains. where do I put this to deduct it?

ee-ea
Level 15

Are you an employee or are you self employed?

bdoubleu
Returning Member

employee

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Those self-employed would deduct it on Schedule C.   From the article, 

In general, legal fees that are related to your business, including rental properties, can be deductions. This is true even if you didn't win the legal case in which the legal fees were incurred.  For instance, according to the IRS, you can deduct:

• Fees that are ordinary and necessary expenses directly related to operating your business (should be entered on Form 1040, Schedule C).
  • Fees for resolving tax issues, advice or preparation of tax forms related to your business (should be included on Form 1040, Schedule C).
  • Fees for rentals or royalties on properties for which you earn income (should be included on Form 1040, Schedule E)
  • Fees related to farm income and expenses (should be included on Form 1040, Schedule F).

Additionally, the following legal fees, although not associated with your workplace, are also deductible:

• Fees related to adopting a child if you qualify for the federal adoption tax credit (should be included on Form 8839).
  • Fees related to whistleblower claims (should be included on Form 1040).
  • Fees related to unlawful discrimination claims (should be included on Form 1040).

Any legal fees that are related to personal issues can't be included in your itemized deductions.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ee-ea
Level 15

bdoubleu
Returning Member

so basically, since 2018 individuals get screwed when defending their employment license, while businesses can still deduct these expenses... makes perfect sense.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies