Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kandeekane
Returning Member

death of a child

My son was born and passed away 2 days later. I was told that I could claim him and get the child tax credit.  I claimed him and then when I got my taxes back they had deducted all of the child tax credit and everything else that had to do with him which then significantly reduced my return. Did I not submit something correctly. We did not apply for a social security number for him so the tax instructions said to write deceased on the form in place of the SS#

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
FranklinF
Employee Tax Expert

death of a child

FIRSTLY, my condolences for the passing of your son.

Per the IRS:
If you meet all of the other requirements to claim the child as a dependent, you usually must provide a taxpayer identifying number (TIN) for the child. If your child was born and died in 2023 and didn't have an SSN or other TIN, instead of a TIN, you may enter "DIED" in column 2 of the Dependents section of Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return or Form 1040-SR, U.S. Tax Return for Seniors and attach a copy of the child's birth certificate, death certificate, or a hospital record showing a live birth.

Earned Income Credit & Child Tax Credit 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

kandeekane
Returning Member

death of a child

I did all of that. I efiled. Do I need to physically send in a paper return? Also this was in 2021. Do I need to file an amended return?

FranklinF
Employee Tax Expert

death of a child

First check, if the tax return was received and processed by the IRS before you take any action.
IRS: 1-800-829-1040.

In addition, you may open an account with the IRS using ID.me which make things faster.

kandeekane
Returning Member

death of a child

Yes they received it cuz I received my return. But they had deducted at least a couple thousand dollars from the return.  I think it was supposed to be somewhere around $3000 cuz of the covid child stipend back then. The return they sent me was only for about $800 instead of $3000.

FranklinF
Employee Tax Expert

death of a child

I will strongly encourage you to visit a local tax practitioner to address the specific issues of your tax returns.

Also you may contact your local Tax Advocate Organization.
Taxpayer Advocate Service  

death of a child

@kandeekane sorry for your loss. if you e-filed how did you manage to attach a birth and death certificate ur hospital records? That's not possible with Turbotax.  

death of a child

@kandeekane So very sorry for the loss of your child.   You seem to be saying in your post above that when you filed your tax return that you "attached" copies of the child's birth certificate, death certificate, etc.   But if you used TurboTax to prepare your tax return and e-filed it, that simply would not have been possible.   It is not possible to attach pdf's of any sort to an e-filed return when you use TurboTax.   If you filed by mail, and attached paper copies, that would be different---and that is what you should have done in order to provide those documents to the IRS.  Can you clarify for us----how did you file---did you e-file or did you file by mail?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies