Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Claiming Younger Sibling

So I’m 21 yrs old and my younger brother who is 16 has been staying with me in my care for going on 2 years, I don’t receive any money from from our mom/dad but yet our mother has still been claiming him on her taxes and won’t allow me to have custody & I’m just now working on guardianship. Which hasn’t been easy trying to get neither. Is it possible to claim him as a dependent on my behalf without it red flagging?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Claiming Younger Sibling

You and your mother cannot both claim your brother as a dependent. If you both claim him, that will definitely attract the attention of the IRS. The best solution would be if you can get your mother to agree to not claim your brother.

The tax rules for a dependent are not based on legal custody or guardianship. As far as the tax rules are concerned, the person that your brother lived with for more than half the year is the one who can claim him. From what you wrote, it sounds like that's you. If so, your mother is not legally allowed to claim him.

You can claim your brother as a dependent if all of the following are true.

1. He is your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them. You obviously meet this requirement.

2. He must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), (b) under age 24 at the end of the year, a student, and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), or (c) any age if permanently and totally disabled. You meet this requirement.

3. He lived with you for more than half of the year.

4. He did not provide more than half of his own support for the year.

5. He is not filing a joint return for the year. If he's not married, he would meet this requirement.

6. No one can claim you (or your spouse, if you are filing jointly) as a dependent.

7. Your brother is a U.S. citizen, a U.S. resident alien, a U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico.

Claiming Younger Sibling

And if you efile......whoever efiles first should go through.  Then the second return that tries to claim him will reject and have to be mailed.   If 2 returns claim the same dependent the IRS will send you both letters to determine who is able to claim him.  

Carl
Level 15

Claiming Younger Sibling

As an addendum to previous replies, if per the IRS rules you are legally entitled to claim your younger brother, then by all means do so. Just be prepared to prove your right to claim him, because if anyone else claims him also then both of you "will" get a letter from the IRS requiring you to substantiate (prove) your right to claim him. The one who proves it, gets to retain the claim. The other party will be required to pay back any tax incentives received for falsely claiming him, along with interest, and may possibly be assessed a fine too.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies