Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MM96
Level 2

Claiming credits for my US citizen children after I left USA and my residency status for tax purposes has ended

I was considered US resident for tax purposes and I was continually filing my taxes until the end of 2021. After that, I left the US, I have filed The 2021 tax report. Now I am leaving outside the US and my residency have terminated. I have two US citizens children ( seven and eight years old ) and I want to file taxes for them , mostly to receive tax credit for them. Can I do that ? can I still file for them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Claiming credits for my US citizen children after I left USA and my residency status for tax purposes has ended

Please explain exactly what you are trying to accomplish.  You say you are not living in the U.S.   Do you have any  U.S. sourced income?   If not, then you have no reason to file a 2023 tax return.  Filing a tax return because your children are citizens would not yield a refund for you or for the children.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
MM96
Level 2

@xmasbaby0 
Thank you for your response.
No I do not have any US income. I do not know if I should anything for my US citizens children. 
If I am not to file anything now, so when should they file on their own? at what age ? and even if they are not obligated to file if their income below the cutoff, would that not result in them getting any child credit?

If your children have income that meets the filing threshold, they can file tax returns.  They are not going to get child tax credit or any other child-related credits if that is what you are hoping for.  Only the parent who can claim a child as a dependent can get the child-related credits --- if the parent is eligible.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies