Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Claiming Adult Student Child as dependent who has Health Care through Market Place and received 1095A

I turned 65 this year and applied and got MediCare.  I have  a 21 yo son who is a full time student and lives at home.  I pay 100% of his housing, food, clothing, education etc.  As such, I understand without other facts that I can claim him as a dependent for tax purposes on my return.  When I when on MediCare, he had to get his own health plan and procured health insurance through the healthcare marketplace.  When he applied for that policy, his household for healthcare premium assessment was defined as only him.  He earns enough money at his side jobs to file his own tax return.  He received the 1095A addressed just to him.  Question 1:  can I still claim him as a dependent on my tax return?  Question 2:  who reports all the info on the 1095A on their tax return, him or me?  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Claiming Adult Student Child as dependent who has Health Care through Market Place and received 1095A

If you claim him as a dependent on your return then the 1095-A goes on your return and the premium credit is then based on your income as well as his.  

Eligibility for the Premium Tax Credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies