Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mahja

claim elderly mother as dependent & claim daycare costs for her?

My 83yo mother lives in a home I own (pays no rent). I also pay for a caregiver to take care of her. She lives on SS and has <$1000 in unearned income. I am claiming her as a dependent this year. Do I file her tax return & state she can be claimed on my return AND then claim her as  dependent on my return...but I read that I can also claim the dependent care credit for an elderly parent but Turbotax wont let me. Although she's listed as a dependent the dropdown that appears for child and dependent care credit doesn't list my mothers name as a dependent. The instructions state that it must be a child <14 yrs old but I read we can claim an adult parent online. Not sure how to do it using turbotax premier? Or is it not allowed by IRS?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

claim elderly mother as dependent & claim daycare costs for her?

Dependent care expenses and the credit are only allowed if the individual is disabled.  Assuming your mother is Not disabled you cannot claim any dependent care expenses.

A qualifying disabled person for the child and dependent care credit -

Any disabled person who wasn't physically or mentally able to care for themselves who lived with you for more than half the year and whom you can claim as a dependent

Physically or mentally not able to care for oneself.

Persons who can't dress, clean, or feed themselves because of physical or mental disabilities are considered not able to care for themselves. Also, persons who must have constant attention to prevent them from injuring themselves or others are considered not able to care for themselves.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies