Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Loly12313
Returning Member

Child Tax Credit and Payflex Accounts

Why does using a payflex account to pay for dependent care make you ineligible for Child Tax Credit? My work does not provide on site childcare. I use these pre-tax dollars to pay for child care for the whole year (includes summer camps not just after school care). However, every time I file taxes, it says I am not eligible even through I spend thousands on child care. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

You are already using untaxed money to pay for your childcare.  You are not allowed to "double dip" and get a tax credit for the money spent on childcare.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Loly12313
Returning Member

Thank you for this. What if the cost of childcare is more than what is placed on Payflex. EX: State limits amount of money to place on Payflex and is $4,000, but the cost of childcare for the year is $8,000. Would you then qualify for the tax credit?

carolineb
Employee Tax Expert

Hello @Loly12313 !

Child care is certainly expensive, and having a payflex account does help with that expense. However, the IRS limits the amount of child care paid to $3000 per child in order to be eligible for the Child and Dependent Care Credit.  So if you are paying $10000 per child, you are limited to taking only $3000.  If you're using funds from a DCB account to cover childcare or dependent care, you cannot claim the credit for those same expenses. Since DCBs offer up to $5000 of pretax dollars, this is still a better deal for you tax wise. 

This link may be helpful to you: 

Child and Dependent Care Credit & flexible benefit plans

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No.    You only get up to a $3000 child and dependent care credit  per child--- and you are already getting more than that in money that has not been taxed.  You cannot double dip.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies