Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chrismend

Child support and claiming dependent

I currently pay child support and have 50/50 custody. Am I able to claim my child every year since I provide more than 50% of expenses? 

2 Replies
NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

Hi chrismend,

For IRS purposes, the custodial parent is the one who is eligible to claim the child, and by "custodial parent" it is meant the parent with whom the child spends more than 50% of the nights. 

You will also need to refer to any divorce or custody agreement that you may have with the child's other parent, to ensure you are not creating a situation where you have a liability to the other parent for violating that terms of that agreement.

Paying or receiving child support is not a factor in the IRS calculation for determining who may claim a child as a dependent. 

I hope this information is helpful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
drc845443
Employee Tax Expert

Hello there,

Generally the custodial parent ( the parent who lived with the child for the longer period during the year) has the right to claim the child. In your case you have indicated you have 50:50 custody but since you pay child support, I have assumed that the other parent is the custodial parent. 

If you are not the custodial parent, you can still claim the child provided the custodial parent concerns or there are some special rules for divorced and separated parents that are applicable.

Here is a resource that addresses the special rules on how to decide who claims the child in the case of divorced or separated parents. Please check through the frequently asked questions to address your specific situation.

https://www.eitc.irs.gov/tax-preparer-toolkit/frequently-asked-questions/divorced-and-separated-pare...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.48m
Members

2.6m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v