ihatetaxseason20

Child care deduction

I have two organizations that take care of my son after school while I work. The program only lets me put in the amount for the first provider but will not let me put in an amount for the second provider. Why not?
TomK

Child care deduction

To enter information for 2 (or more) daycare providers:

1. Open (continue) your return if it's not already open.
  2. Click on Orange box “Take me to my return
  3. Click on the Federal Taxes tab
  4. Click on the Deductions & Credits tab
  5. Scroll down to You & Your Family, and select Child and Dependent Care Credit.

First, you'll add the amounts you paid both providers combined and enter that figure in the box for total dependent care expenses.

Then, as you continue, you'll be asked to input the specific providers.  On the entry screen for the first one, TurboTax will ask you what you paid to that specific provider.  Then when you're done entering the first provider, you'll see the button for Add another care provider and you'll repeat the process for that one.

So you're entering one total figure for all providers, then you're breaking it down to what you paid each one.