Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cash gift to kids in my family

As peras mentioned in https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/frequently-asked-questions-on-gift-tax..., you do not have to report to IRS if your cash gift is below the $17K amount for the year 2023. If I have been gifting for several years, and this amount would have added to $100K or more. How do I report this to IRS so this amount gets deducted from my total estate?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

You do not need to report cash gifts to any one individual unless it exceeds the annual exclusion amount (e.g., $17,000 for 2023, $18,0000 for 2024).

You do not total the amount of the gifts (over the years) if they are below those thresholds each year. 

Thanks.

If you have been gifting for several years and you want to deduct this amount from your estate, what type of document is acceptable to IRS?

I am not at all certain what you mean or are trying to accomplish.

If the gifts each year were less than the annual exclusion amount then the gifts would have absolutely no impact on any federal tax that may be levied on your estate (the gifts do not get "deducted" from your estate for federal tax purposes).

And your gifts have already been deducted from your estate.  They are gone and out of your estate now.  They are not part of your estate in the first place anymore.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies