Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

carryovers for donations

Can I skip this for now?  it will take a lot of research to find these figures and I'd like to finish for now and enter next year instead.  Can I just delete the amount that TT entered and go on?  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

carryovers for donations

if you don't enter your 2023 contributions along with any 2022 carryover, you'll lose some or all of any c/o to  2024. then you'll have to amend 2023 which can hold up any refund due for 2024 for many months. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

carryovers for donations

@kare2k13 

No, you must attempt to use them this year, along with all your other Charity contributions...and then only the amount that is not used this year will be allowed to be carried to next year.

IF you used TTX  last year, it does not normally take a lot of work to find the carryover amount, as long as you tried to use your contributions on last year's tax return.

Simply open your 2022 tax file, change to Forms Mode, and then look for the "Charity Contrib" form in the left-side list of forms and open that.  The Carryover amounts from 2022--to-2023 are in Part III of that form, on line 6 

IF you want to see how the carryover from 2022 to 2023 was calculated look at the "Charity Limit 1" form just above it.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

carryovers for donations

if you don't enter your 2023 contributions along with any 2022 carryover, you'll lose some or all of any c/o to  2024. then you'll have to amend 2023 which can hold up any refund due for 2024 for many months. 

carryovers for donations

Thanks, but TT wants carryover info back to 2018, so I guess I have to dig out all of those filings, correct? 

carryovers for donations

Well, if you've been doing it every year, then each successive year's carryover (if any ) shows on that Forms Mode "Charity Contrib" form in your 2022 file.

Of course....assuming you used the TTX software every year since then, and transferred in each year's file from the prior year without a break.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

carryovers for donations

But do you really think you contributed such a large amount to charity in any of those years (yeah, some folks are able to do so)....50-60% of AGI is normally a pretty large amount, unless you had low income in one of those years....and kept up your donations anyhow. 

(though there are some 30% or even 20% of AGI limits, when contributing to Veterans organizations, Fraternal societies, and a couple other places not normally thought of as a Charity.....or 30% of AGI if you contributed capital gain property (like stock) to a regular charity)

(And the prior year's data are really needed, because up-to100% of AGI was allowed during a couple of those years...for disasters & such)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies