Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ItsPJBia

Carryforward energy not adding to federal refund

I had $826 left from last years return that I was hoping to add to this years return, but after going through the steps and TurboTax seeing my carryfoward amount, it added nothing to my federal return.  I added in other items after and my federal refund went up so I don't believe I have met a limit yet.  What might cause the money to not get applied to my refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Did you look at the actual credit form yet to see the carryover from last year and the calculations of the allowed credit this year and any unused portion to carry into last year ?   Please do so when you are completely done entering in all your income and deductions.  

the energy credit is non-refundable so once your liability is reduced to zero, the excess can only be carried forward. on form 5695 look at line  12 if nothing appears the carryforward is missing, line 14 which is the maximum amount than can be used in the current year, 

I am having the same issue. I have over 9k that I'm supposed to get this year and when I fill out all the info it says I qualify for the credit but when it goes back to the credit and deductions summary it still shows $0. Were you able to figure out what is going on? 

LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

Updates are still being applied to the software. We recommend updating or logging back into your software tomorrow and then proceeding with filing your tax return.

Thanks I guess i'll wait a couple more days because its still not adding my credit.

jonlbart

I am also having this problem.  The dialog says, "Good news: you qualify for a home energy credit of $*****.  Yet on the following page, the Home Energy Credit does not show up.  It looks like a software issue to me.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Remember that an Energy Credit is Non-refundable, meaning it can only be applied to your tax liability on line 20 of your 1040.

If the credit zeros-out your tax liability, the remaining credit will be carried forward to the next year. 

Please look at Schedule 3 for the credit, then your 1040 line 20 to see if it was applied or if there was no tax liability left to apply it to. 

If you are eligible for the Child Tax Credit, that credit will apply first on line 19.

Refundable credits come after non-refundable credits and increase your refund.

Desktop users go to Form Mode (top right corner)

If using TurboTax Online:

Select Tax Tools on the left side-bar

Select Tools from that drop-down

Select “View Tax Summary” on the TOOLS CENTER screen

Select “Preview my 1040” which now appears on the left side-bar

Scroll through the 1040 and schedule 3

@jonlbart 

@andrez132 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@KrisD15  Hey Kris, thanks for your update. I checked the summary and the 1040 line 20 and see the correct credit amount listed there. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies