Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sselaya

Car for my business (standard mileage ded) was totaled. Ins payout went into the cost to replace. irs says i shouldnt have a gain but cant figure this out in desktop vers

Publication463 states if you spend all of the proceeds from insurance to acquire replacement property within a specified period of time you dont recognize any gain. TurboTax desktop version doesnt ask about a loss when disposing of the vehicle and comes up with a gain based on my past standard deduction. How would I correctly enter this.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Car for my business (standard mileage ded) was totaled. Ins payout went into the cost to replace. irs says i shouldnt have a gain but cant figure this out in desktop vers

Loss due to casualty or theft does allow you to dispose of the car with no gain. Your basis in the replacement property is its cost minus any gain that isn’t recognized. See Pub. 547 for more information.

When you enter that you disposed of the vehicle, you will need to enter a false sales price. Enter a sales price so that you have no gain or loss.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sselaya

Interesting way to do it, but I will try that.

sselaya

Should I enter a Casualty of Theft later under the Personal Deductions which allows you to enter business losses or should I leave that alone.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Only if you had enough loss to matter. You have money from insurance reimbursement so you may not even have had a loss to put on your taxes. If you did, it would add to your itemized deductions, if you itemize. So, probably not anything to do but worth checking.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies