Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Capital Gains Tax from Buying Leased Car and Selling?

If I find a third party to buy my auto which I lease and receive a check for $5,600, is that money taxable?

you have told us nothing about the use of the auto/ was it 100% for business for which you took a tax deduction or entirely personal or some portion was business and you took a tax deduction and some portion was personal .  also what you will have to pay to buy the vehicle from the lessor? 

This topic has come up on Bogleheads and I, too, am wondering about IRS treatment. In some respects, a lease with an option to buy at a residual price strikes me as a purchase contract.

When one leases a car, the lease value, and hence the monthly payments, are based on the difference between the car selling price and the residual value. So roughly speaking, if you lease a car that sells for $30K new and has a residual value of $23K, then your lease payments will be based on the $7K difference (give or take). That's why you can reduce your monthly payment by prepaying a down payment - either cash or trade-in.

Let's say you prepaid $5K via trade-in, then paid another $1400 in lease payments toward the $7000 lease value. So you are out-of-pocket $6400. Had you purchased the vehicle for $23K, then sold it for $30K, you netted at most $600 because your total payment costs to own the vehicle were $5000 plus $1400 plus $23K. After all, your lease payments went toward reducing the purchase price of the vehicle.

But you did not go that route. Instead, the dealer paid you $7000 for the right to take over the rest of the lease and/or purchase the car. But you still had $6400 invested in that vehicle lease. You did not profit by $7000.

In my view, a lease with an option to buy can be viewed similarly to an option contract to purchase stock.

Stock ACME is selling for $100 today. I purchase an option to buy ACME for $100 in 12 months. That option costs me $10. In 6 months, ACME is selling for $120. My option, now with 6 months left, is priced at $25. I have two choices. I can sell my option for $25, in which case my profit is $15. Someone is willing to pay a premium because the option still has time value.

My other choice is I can exercise my option and purchase the stock at the option price of $100. At that point, my basis in the stock is $100 plus the $10 I paid for the option, or $110. I don't lose the option payment. It gets folded into my basis. If ACME rises to $130 at the end of the 12 month period, I can sell it then for a profit of $20.

So I would be happy to learn the IRS official position.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies