Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cant understand why I am being told that he had another disqualifying situation for the Child Tax Credit? He is 8 years old and I meet all the qualifications

Child Tax Credit
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Cant understand why I am being told that he had another disqualifying situation for the Child Tax Credit? He is 8 years old and I meet all the qualifications

I recommend rechecking the answers to the dependent questions.  Here is a reminder of the qualifications for the child tax credit.  The child must have a valid social security number and meet the following criteria.  The questions in TurboTax relate to these criteria.

• The child must be younger than 17 on the last day of the tax year, generally Dec 31.
  • The child must be the taxpayer’s son, daughter, stepchild, foster or adopted child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half-brother or half-sister. An adopted child includes a child lawfully placed with them for legal adoption. They can also include grandchildren, nieces or nephews.
  • The child must have not provided more than half of their own support for the year.
  • The taxpayer must claim the child as their dependent on their federal tax return.
  • The child cannot file a tax return for the same year with the status married filing jointly, unless the only reason they are filing is to claim a refund.
  • The child must be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national or a U.S. resident alien.
  • In most cases, the child must have lived with the taxpayer for more than half of 2020.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies