Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mkidder

Cant enter real estate tax information

Turbo Tax 2018 Premier Windows 10  In Walk through mode, deductions entered Home interest.  Clicked on next and blank screen appears.  Can not enter additional Real estate taxes.  Same thing happens when trying to walk through and enter Medical Insurance amounts.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Go to:

Check for Updates

I checked and made sure my Turbo Tax was updated and I still cannot enter my property taxes paid on my home. I went to the Deductions page where I was directed to enter it, but it took me to a blank page.

Now what?

Kathy Davis

@MontanaGal    Try the following:

Perhaps this is the issue with anyone with a blank page during the running of Desktop TTX software.

.......TTX should only be installed and run as an Administrator..not in some guest account without administrator privileges...but it's hard to know each person's exact setup.

Exit TurboTax....then:

1)  right click TurboTax 2018 icon

2)  Select  … Properties

3)  Select the  Compatibility tab

4) In the "Settings" box … check the box to "Run this program as an administrator"

This has fixed the problem for a number of users now.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@SteamTrain In Turbotax Home & Business 2018, running on Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit, that didn't work for me.  In Step-by-Step mode, I cannot enter any values for Property Taxes Paid, nor any values in any of the succeeding Deduction screens.  The only work-around I have found is to hit the "Show Relevant Form" button in lower left, and enter the value on the appropriate line.  Very cumbersome!

@Mr Ed 

It's not clear that you are encountering exactly the same issue as @MontanaGal 

.i.e. you might be encountering a different entry problem with a known fix, which I'll describe below.

The "Blank Page" issue is different from a situation where you see a "$0"  in a field (not just a "$" ) that you cannot seem to change.  The non-changeable "$0" value is one that is due to a somewhat hidden "Supporting Detail" for that value.

Here's what I think is happening (If you see a "$0" )...and how to fix it.

1) In 2017 you added "Supporting Details" to each of those fields where you encounter a locked "$0"...probably to describe when & how paid it in some prior year.

2) The Supporting Details sheets (empty) transferred into your 2018 file from your 2017 file.

3) The Supporting Details are supposed to pop up as soon as you attempt to enter a value during the Interview...but it doesn't. (Software Bug)

4) Various Workarounds :

4a) double-click in the field and the Supporting Details sheet pops up and you can either delete it (hit the big red "X"), and now make an entry...or you can use the SuppDetails worksheet to enter your $$....OR...

4b) Put your cursor in the box, and then go to the top menu on the screen and click on <Edit....then <<Add Supporting Details from the drop-down menu. IF the SuppDet box shows up you can either add your entry in there...or hit the Red "X" to delete the whole SupDet worksheet and then make your normal entry.....or...

4c) Put your cursor on the box....switch to Forms Mode...., and enter the payment directly in the worksheet. You can also delete the Supporting Details sheet entirely (look for the REMOVE "X" when it pops up)..once that is done, you can make entries using the interview again..

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@SteamTrain 

Thanks very much. You are correct, my issue is different from @MontanaGal 's issue.  As you correctly deduced, I am seeing a non-changeable $0 in each field. Most of these fields are indeed ones in which I entered Supporting Details in a prior year.

I am able to continue now, using your Workaround 4a.  I can see that your 4b and 4c also work, but I think your 4a is perhaps the least cumbersome. 

I hope Intuit will fix the bug, so that users can once again simply click (once) in the field, see their prior year's Supporting Details, and enter their current year's value, with Supporting Details if desired.  I use the Supporting Details information to remind myself of where I found the data in a prior year, that I need to enter for the current year.   Indeed, I usually just add another line or two to the bottom of each year's Supporting Details, while retaining all my entries from prior years. It's a great memory aid and learning tool, as I struggle every year with the bewildering task of figuring out my taxes. 

Many, many thanks for your help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies