turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

confuseddependent
Returning Member

Can you claim receipts for materials purchased for your business even if you did not make any income?

Hi everyone.  I'm a college student and my parents claim me as a dependent. I began collecting craft machines and shipping supplies for a business last year. I even got a sole proprietorship set up. However, I hadn't started to sell items yet. My parents advised me to hold onto receipts of things I purchased, which I have, but now I'm unsure if I can claim these receipts if I didn't make any income. I would really appreciate an explanation of this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Can you claim receipts for materials purchased for your business even if you did not make any income?

Yes, you claim your expenses even if you didn't have any income. To be deductible, a business expense must be both ordinary and necessary.

An ordinary expense is one that is common and accepted in your industry. A necessary expense is one that is helpful and appropriate for your trade or business. Irs.gov

To report your self employment expenses:

• Select Federal from the left menu.
  • Go to Wages and Income then select Income and Expenses.
  • Go to Self-employment income and expenses and click start. you'll be asked some general questions about your business. After you answer them, you’ll be taken to enter your Expenses.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

if your business hasn't begun you have no deductible expenses.  these might qualify as start-up expenses, once it does and that would be the first year you can deduct them

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies