Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't obtain my 1098 from previous lender

Situation: My mortgage loan was sold to a new lender back in December 2023. Now that I'm filing taxes, I need to enter 1098 information from both the previous and current lenders.

Problem: I'm able to get the 1098 from my current lender no problem. But I can no longer access my account in the previous lender's website as it seems my account has been deleted/archived.

• I tried to contact the support number for the previous lender, but they ask me to verify my last four SSN and plays an automated message that my mortgage is now with the new lender and should be contacting them.
  • I contact the support number for the new lender to see if I can get any help there, but they play an automated message stating that their 1098 will only cover from the time they acquired my loan and for the rest of 2023 prior to the acquisition, I will have to contact my previous lender for a 1098.

Basically, I'm being tossed back and forth by automated recordings while emailing with no response either.

Question: Can I still claim my mortgage interest without the 1098  from my previous lender?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Yes, but you may be missing some of your deduction.

You can get a copy of your 1098 from the IRS.  Go to the IRS website and create an account here.  Once you do you'll be able to access any forms filed with your social security number on them.  Find the forms for 2023 and you'll find your 1098.

@mklpan 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@RobertB4444 

Thanks for this suggestion. I'm currently logged in to the IRS website, but are you able to point me to where in the website I should be able to find my 1098? I don't see any option for this from where I'm looking.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

You need to get a Wage and Income transcript.  That is the one that will show everything reported under your Social Security number.

Here is a link to get started:

Get your tax record

@mklpan 

Do I use the transcript from 2022 or 2023? I'm currently filing for 2023 so the transcript shows that there's no record of filing yet.

@AnnetteB6 

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Since you're working on your 2023 return, it is the 2023 Wage and Income transcript that you need.  You are not looking for a tax return transcript.  

If you find that the Wage and Income transcript is not yet available from the IRS, you could consider filing your return as it stands now and then amending it later to add the mortgage interest.  

You could also put in an estimated number just to be sure that you are going to be itemizing deductions.  If your deductions are not high enough, claiming the standard deduction might give you a better outcome anyway and you would not even need the Form 1098.  

@mklpan 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies