Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can my spouse take prior year AMT credit if filing status is changed from MFJ to MFS?

Hi, tax experts,

My previous year filing status is MFJ and we have some AMT credits carried over due to previous ISO exercise. In this year we can use the credits but we are considering MFS which can reduce state tax in our condition. In this case, can my spouse use the AMT credit that we carried over last year?

If yes, how do we report 8801 and split the credit carry overs if both of us can use the credit in this year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Can my spouse take prior year AMT credit if filing status is changed from MFJ to MFS?

Yes.  In TurboTax search "Community Property Worksheet" and use the "jump to" link. You will eventually arrive at a page for "Other miscellaneous items" where you can divide all items not specifically handled earlier in the worksheet pages. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

If you are in a community property state (Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, New Mexico, Nevada, Texas, Washington or Wisconsin) then you will use form 8958 and allocate your income and relevant expenses using that form in order to divide things between you equally.

If you are in any of the other states then you will just cut the amounts of any joint income or expenses in half and enter them on the separate returns.  

@selfreporter 

@RobertB4444 Thanks for the answer and I live in a community property state. I understand that 8958 can allocate / distribute incomes. But does the form cover things like prior year AMT credit carry over as well?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Yes.  In TurboTax search "Community Property Worksheet" and use the "jump to" link. You will eventually arrive at a page for "Other miscellaneous items" where you can divide all items not specifically handled earlier in the worksheet pages. 

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies