Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I write off moving expenses if they were for medical reasons?

I have pulmonary Sarcoidosis (permanent disability) and a bunch of medical problems. I moved from Colorado to Alabama. All of my doctors agreed that going from 5280' above sea level to 13' above sea level would be a huge help to be able to breathe better. I also moved to a ranch style house because stairs cause instant fatigue and make me out of breath.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Sorry, moving expenses are not deductible on a federal tax return unless you are a member of the military on Permanent Change of Station orders.

Unfortunately, all moving expense deductions are disallowed for tax years 2018-2025 by the 2017 tax reform law, except for military. Even before that change, moving expenses were only deductible for work, not medical reasons.

Looking separately as a medical expense deduction instead of a moving deduction, your moving is not allowed as a medical expense even if the move was for medical reasons.   Some expenses of modifying your new home (grab bars, other accessibility aids) might be deductible medical expenses.  

Generally, if you owned your previous home (in Colorado) for less than 2 years, you would pay capital gains tax on the sale.  However, if you moved due to medical necessity, you could qualify for a partial capital gains exclusion.  However, if you owned and lived in the home more than 2 years, you already got the maximum exclusion so there is no further benefit of moving due to medical reasons. 

Incidentally, University of Alabama at Birmingham has an excellent pulmonary fibrosis program.  I would recommend getting a consultation there even if you have a regular pulmonary doc you like.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies