turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I use Coverdell or 529 funds to help pay for a high school Social Studies trip to South Africa?

My kids' high school is offering an amazing opportunity for 40 to 50 kids to go to South Africa for 12 days next year.    It's billed as an opportunity to "engage with the wonderful social, historical, and cultural aspects of South Africa."

It's not required as part of the curriculum.   Applicants should show a strong interest.  They must write an essay, and they have to qualify to be accepted.

The trip will cost each student about $6,000.

My daughter will be a senior this coming year.   We have saved fund in both an Education IRA (Coverdell) and 529 for her college.   (Well, I'm pretty sure, it wouldn't qualify under the 529, but I'm not sure about the Coverdell)

Would this kind of thing be a qualified expense for either the 529 or the Coverdell?

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Can I use Coverdell or 529 funds to help pay for a high school Social Studies trip to South Africa?

While Coverdell accounts can be used for eligible expenses for K-12 education (up to $10,000 per student), the school trip won't qualify as an eligible expense.  It also won't qualify as an eligible expense for the 529 account either. 

It does sound like an amazing opportunity; it's just not one that comes with any tax benefits.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

While Coverdell accounts can be used for eligible expenses for K-12 education (up to $10,000 per student), the school trip won't qualify as an eligible expense.  It also won't qualify as an eligible expense for the 529 account either. 

It does sound like an amazing opportunity; it's just not one that comes with any tax benefits.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Unfortunately, only tuition is an eligible expense for high school.  

Thank you!   I thought that would be the answer.    It did sound like an amazing trip, and I have 4 teenagers, so I have to consider if we pay for this one trip, we may have to do it again and again.

And, we have managed to save a lot for college in their 529 and Coverdell accounts.  And knowing the child I'm referring to, she will likely get scholarships and not need all the savings we have to pay for college.  (So, it was worth pursuing the question).

Thank you for your quick and detailed response

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies