Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kxadria
Returning Member

Can I still file if I don't want a return of excess social security has been paid?

I tried doing my taxes and I received a notice saying that I paid excess in social security and I should get a refund from my employer and get a corrected W-2. They don't want to send a corrected W-2. I don't really care about an amount less than $25 being returned to me. Can I still file and not request for a Form 843 to request a refund? Everything I read says there will be penalties, but I don't see any explanation of what those penalties will be if the amount is small. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I still file if I don't want a return of excess social security has been paid?

First of all try leaving the cents off box 4.
Check boxes 3 & 4 on your W2.  Box 4 should be 6.2% of box 3 up to a max of $9,932.40. So take the amount in box 3 and multiply it by .062. If box 4 is more than that you need to get a corrected W2 from your employer. But also go back and double check your W2 entries, you may have entered box 3 & 4 wrong. A lot of people who have asked this found they did enter an amount wrong.  I would delete that W2 and re enter it.  That may clear something out.  

Or post back with the amounts in box 3 & 4.  

Kxadria
Returning Member

I really did overpay and my employer confirmed this, but my question is, can I file without a corrected W-2 and do I have to file a Form 843 for a return of that excess amount, if my employer is going to refund me without a corrected W-2? They don't want to send a corrected W-2. I honestly don't mind the overpayment, it was less than $25. My biggest concern is consequences, positive or negative, if I don't have a corrected W-2 or file for the refund with an official form. 

Yes, you can change the amount in box 4 to the right amount.  Take the amount in box 3 and multiply it by .062 to get the amount for box 4.  Or ask your employer for the amounts.    Are boxes 5 & 6 right?    Box 6 should be 1.45% x box 3.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies