• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
1oussycat

Can I still Claim my 2 children on my 2017 W2 for earn income credit ? I mailed 2 SOC Form 2298 Self Certification form for Federal Tax wage Exclusion . Is this good

The reason WY I asking this because  .
I work for 2 of my children with Inhome Supportive Service  .

IHSS mailed to me 2 forms to have my Fedreal Tax Wage Exclusion  .

Can I still Claim 2 of my Children for Earn Income Credit on my 2017 W2 Tax Return  ?  

Happy Holidays
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Can I still Claim my 2 children on my 2017 W2 for earn income credit ? I mailed 2 SOC Form 2298 Self Certification form for Federal Tax wage Exclusion . Is this good

No, if that is your only earned income.  It's a case of "you can't have you cake and eat it too".

You can't exclude the income from federal tax and at the same time count it as earned income for the federal refundable credits. The money you hear about people getting for just filing a tax return claiming kids requires you to  have some earned income (wages or self employment). Without other earned income, you are not eligible for the "refundable" Earned Income Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

No, if that is your only earned income.  It's a case of "you can't have you cake and eat it too".

You can't exclude the income from federal tax and at the same time count it as earned income for the federal refundable credits. The money you hear about people getting for just filing a tax return claiming kids requires you to  have some earned income (wages or self employment). Without other earned income, you are not eligible for the "refundable" Earned Income Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit.

View solution in original post

Critter
Level 15

We had a long discussion on this subject before in this forum  ... bottom line conclusion  is if you are eligible to exclude the income you must ... there is no choice in the matter.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Critter#2 is correct. See question #9 at <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/individuals/certain-medicaid-waiver-payments-may-be-excludable-from-income">http...>
The above answer has been revised.
bellagirl33
Level 1

But what if you didn’t know and you filed as normal for years and received the EIC not knowing it’s non taxable income allnthis time. Then what happens? Would you have to pay back years of the EIC? I need to know ASAP so I can let my relative know whom lives with her child and receives Ihss. Thanks!
Critter
Level 15

It is my opinion that they should file correctly going forward and let the prior years alone ( let sleeping dogs lie).
bellagirl33
Level 1

Thanks for the reply! I agree..
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v